
“I don’t understand the internet” – Both of the left-leaning actors have expressed support for the Palestinian cause but came under fire for sharing anti-Jewish conspiracy theories, fake quotes, and even quotes from white supremacist Nick Fuentes.
By World Israel News Staff
Two prominent film actors apologized last week for sharing social media content promoting antisemitism and false claims against Israel.
On Wednesday, the London-based Jewish News published an interview with Monty Python actor and comedian John Cleese, following his cancellation of several shows in Israel.
While Cleese earlier this month rebutted claims he had nixed the shows in support of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement – stating that security concerns had led to the cancellations – the actor’s social media posts featuring anti-Israel conspiracy theories and claims some said strayed into antisemitism fueled rumors Cleese’s decision was politically motivated.
In recent weeks, Cleese shared posts accusing Israel of legalizing pedophilia, claiming Israelis “buy American elections,” and suggesting an Israeli-linked team was involved in the assassination of Charlie Kirk.
He also shared posts falsely claiming 17 rabbis were arrested for organ trafficking, and calling the IDF a “perverse, genocidal, anti-Semitic army.”
In the interview, Cleese offered a mea culpa, claiming he had been bamboozled by false stories trending on social media, adding he was “extremely sorry” for the posts.
“I don’t understand the internet,” Cleese said. “People create things and don’t care that they can be disproved.”
Cleese appeared to contradict his prior claims that his appearances in Israel were canceled due to security concerns, downplaying the issue and suggesting he had been anxious about the trip.
“I was dreading it weeks before the posts,” Cleese said. “I thought someone would ask me something political, and if I didn’t say the right thing it would be unpleasant for the rest of the tour.”
“I think there was always a security element… but I didn’t know.”
The actor pledged to refrain from commenting on Israel online, but a day later, accused Senator Ted Cruz of dual loyalty to the US and Israel.
A day after Cleese’s interview, Australian actor Guy Pearce, best known for his roles in LA Confidential and The Adventures of Priscilla, offered his own apology for sharing a number of anti-Israel and anti-Jewish posts.
The posts included not only anti-Israel content and expressions of support for the Palestinian cause but also conspiracy theories and antisemitic canards, including some from white supremacist and Hitler apologist Nick Fuentes.
“Remember, when Zionists tell you Islam will destroy America: The top three pornography companies are owned by Jewish people, the top one being owned by a rabbi, while several major Las Vegas casinos/hotels that have caused gambling addictions, debt, and prostitution were created and owned by Jewish Zionists.”
On November 21st, Pearce himself penned a post castigating Israelis generally, accusing them of “disdain” for Palestinians.
“I’ve never been so disgusted by a group of people in my life as I am by Israelis. Everyday I witness their utter disregard & disdain for Palestinian life. It is shameful & sets humanity further backwards with every vile act like this.”
Pearce shared a video clip of Fuentes denouncing “Talmudic Judaism” and claiming Judaism promotes the deaths of “all non-Jews.” In other posts, Pearce pushed claims that Israel was responsible for the 2001 9/11 attacks and the assassination of Charlie Kirk.
On Thursday, Pearce told the Jewish News he had “inadvertently” reposted antisemitic material.
“It has been brought to my attention that, in my support of Palestine, I have inadvertently reposted articles, and/or statements, that have contained misinformation and falsehoods.”
“I am aware how sharing inaccurate content can cause confusion and distress; for this, I am deeply sorry. I will certainly endeavor to be more diligent in future to verify anything I share online.”
Two days later, Pearce issued a more explicit apology to his X account, after deleting all of his previous posts.
“Earlier this week, I issued an apology for sharing misleading and inaccurate posts and commentary on social media.”
“I meant every word of that apology but I recognise that meaningful action must accompany any apology. To prevent any further hurt, confusion, or damage to others, I will be stepping back from social media for the time being.”
The post Actors Guy Pearce, John Cleese apologize for antisemitic posts appeared first on World Israel News.