
The former Puerto Rican prospect lived with severe neurological damage for nearly 11 years after his final professional fight.
ORLANDO, Fla. — Former professional boxer Prichard Colón, whose promising career ended after he suffered a severe brain injury during a 2015 bout in Virginia, has died at age 33, his family and major boxing organizations announced.
Colón’s father, Richard Colón, announced his son’s death Thursday, Aug. 13, in a social media post thanking supporters for years of love and prayers. The World Boxing Council and World Boxing Organization also confirmed the death and paid tribute to the former Puerto Rican fighter. A specific cause of death had not been publicly disclosed in the reports reviewed.
Colón had been considered a rising talent before the Oct. 17, 2015, fight against Terrel Williams at EagleBank Arena in Fairfax, Virginia. He entered the bout with a 16-0 professional record, including 13 knockout victories. It became the final fight of his career and the event that changed the course of his life.
During the bout, Colón complained about blows to the back of his head, an area where punches are prohibited under boxing rules. Williams was penalized for an illegal punch during the fight. Colón was knocked down twice in the ninth round and was disqualified after his corner removed his gloves because it mistakenly believed the bout had ended. He later showed signs of serious head trauma in his dressing room.
Colón was rushed to a hospital, where doctors performed emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain after a brain bleed. He later spent more than 200 days in a coma and was left with severe, lasting neurological disabilities. He never returned to professional boxing and required extensive care and rehabilitation in the years that followed.
The World Boxing Council said Colón sustained irreversible neurological damage and linked his injuries to severe illegal blows to the back of the head. The organization later named him an honorary world champion. Following his death, the WBC said Colón’s case had helped drive stronger attention to illegal punches and stricter medical safeguards in the sport.
Born in Florida and raised in Puerto Rico, Colón developed into one of the island’s promising young fighters. Before turning professional, he won multiple Puerto Rican national amateur championships and a gold medal at the Pan American Youth Championships. He began his professional career in 2013 and quickly built an unbeaten record.
One of Colón’s most notable victories came shortly before his final fight, when he stopped former world champion Vivian Harris in the fourth round in September 2015. Just over a month later, the fight with Williams brought his competitive career to an abrupt end. His professional record finished at 16 victories and one loss by disqualification.
In the years after his injury, Colón’s family regularly shared updates showing his rehabilitation and daily life. His parents remained closely involved in his care, and his story drew continuing attention from boxing fans and organizations concerned about fighter safety. His father said in announcing the death that he had hoped to fulfill his son’s wish of returning to Puerto Rico for a vacation but was unable to do so.
Tributes continued across the boxing community after Colón’s death was announced. The WBC remembered him as an honorary champion and praised his family’s years of support, while the WBO highlighted the strength he showed during the long period after his injury. No additional details about funeral arrangements or an official medical cause of death had been publicly announced.
Author note: Last updated August 17, 2026.