
Iran’s foreign minister demands the United Nations hold the US responsible for Israeli strikes on Iran earlier this year, after President Donald Trump said he was “in charge of” the IDF’s initial attacks.
By World Israel News Staff
Tehran is demanding the United States pay compensation for damages caused by Israeli airstrikes during the 12-day June war, and is lobbying the United Nations to intervene on Iran’s behalf.
On Wednesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi penned a letter to United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres and the United Nations Security Council, calling on both to help Tehran recoup damages from the US for the June war.
“The United States is obliged to fully compensate Iran and Iranian citizens for the material and moral damages resulting from these violations,” Araghchi wrote.
Araghchi urged the UN Security Council to hold an emergency meeting in order to launch an investigation of the war and American involvement, to ensure enforcement of the ceasefire with Israel, and to address Iran’s demands for reparations.
In his letter, Araghchi cited comments by President Donald Trump last week suggesting the US was responsible for Israel’s decision to bomb Iran.
“Israel attacked first,” Trump told reporters last Thursday, adding that he was “in charge” of the Israeli strikes. “That attack was very, very powerful. I was very much in charge of that.”
“When Israel attacked Iran first, that was a great day for Israel because that attack did more damage than the rest of them put together.”
This is not the first time Iran has demanded reparations for the damages incurred during the June war with Israel.
In July, Tehran said it would not resume nuclear talks with the US until Washington agrees to pay compensation for strikes on Iran.
A month later, the US State Department rejected Iranian demands for reparations, calling Tehran’s position “ridiculous.”
The post Iran says US must pay for Israeli attacks after Trump says he directed IDF strikes appeared first on World Israel News.