Netanyahu and officials

Due to the target’s proximity to Iranian air defenses, officials described the strike as highly sensitive.

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

Israel carried out an unprecedented strike Tuesday on Hamas leaders meeting in Doha, Qatar, in an operation that officials said had been in the works for months but was presented by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a direct response to deadly attacks a day earlier.

The operation, codenamed Summit of Fire, saw Israeli fighter jets drop 10 bombs on a residential complex more than 1,100 miles from Israel, while drones provided support. The strike was approved in secret by Israel’s security cabinet.

The IDF Operations Directorate, along with the Shin Bet and Military Intelligence, prepared the battle plan through weeks of closed-door discussions, according to CNN. 

Maj. Gen. Itzik Cohen gave the final authorization Monday night, and the mission was directed personally by Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir and Air Force Commander Maj. Gen. Tomer Bar.

Due to the target’s proximity to Iranian air defenses, officials described the strike as highly sensitive.

Netanyahu oversaw the mission from Shin Bet headquarters in central Israel, joined by Defense Minister Israel Katz and senior security officials.

In a joint statement, Netanyahu and Katz said, “Yesterday, after the murderous attacks in Jerusalem and Gaza, Prime Minister Netanyahu instructed all security bodies to prepare for the possibility of eliminating Hamas leaders. The defense minister fully supported this proposal.”

They added that Tuesday’s strike was “fully justified given that this Hamas leadership was responsible for planning and organizing the October 7 massacre and has continued murderous operations against Israel.”

Hamas sources claimed their negotiating team survived, but Israeli officials believe several top figures, including Khaled Mashal, Khalil al-Hayya, Razi Hamed, Mohammed Darwish, and Izzat al-Rishq, were at least injured.

The Shin Bet described the operation as fulfilling its vow at the start of the war: “We will reach Hamas leaders everywhere.” Last month, Chief of Staff Zamir warned that leaders abroad would also be targeted, saying, “Most of Hamas’ remaining rule sits abroad — and we will reach them too.”

Qatar condemned the strike as a “cowardly” violation of its sovereignty and announced a suspension of its mediation in hostage negotiations. Netanyahu stressed, however, that “Israel initiated it, Israel managed it, and Israel takes full responsibility for it.”

The post Months of planning led to Israeli strike on Hamas leaders in Doha appeared first on World Israel News.

Leave A Comment