
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu signaled Tuesday that the outcome of the conflict will not necessarily include the removal of Iran’s leadership.
By Vered Weiss, World Israel News
Israeli officials say the war with Iran is likely to continue for at least two more weeks as Israel intensifies efforts to destroy Tehran’s missile capabilities, while acknowledging that expectations of a rapid collapse of the Iranian regime have diminished, Ynet reported.
The campaign, launched as Operation Roaring Lion, initially raised hopes in Israel that the conflict might trigger the fall of Iran’s leadership. Officials now say the government in Tehran appears stable, and discussions about a Kurdish-led ground incursion into Iran have been dropped.
Israel’s military operations have focused heavily on Iran’s missile infrastructure.
Officials estimate that about 80% of the country’s launchers have already been destroyed and say the objective is to raise that figure to between 90% and 95% before any ceasefire takes effect.
Despite the reassessment of regime change prospects, Israeli officials argue the war has inflicted severe strategic damage on Iran’s military capabilities, setting back both its nuclear program and ballistic missile production.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu signaled Tuesday that the outcome of the conflict will not necessarily include the removal of Iran’s leadership.
“We aspire to bring the Iranian people to remove the yoke of tyranny. Ultimately, that depends on them,” Netanyahu said. “But there is no doubt that through the actions taken so far, we are breaking their bones, and our hand is still extended.”
He added: “If we succeed together with the Iranian people, we will bring about a permanent end, if such things exist in the life of nations. We will bring change and are already bringing about a tremendous change in Israel’s standing.”
Officials said some demonstrations have occurred in Iran since the start of the war, but those gathering in the streets have largely been members of the Basij militia rather than regime opponents.
One official familiar with internal discussions said the damage to Iran’s military infrastructure has been extensive.
“Do not be impressed by statements coming from the Iranians,” the official said. “They are fanatics, but their system is in ashes. They have no navy. They have no air force. They have no defense industries. We severely damaged the infrastructure.”
Although US President Trump has indicated the conflict could end soon, Israeli officials say the timeline remains uncertain. They stress that only Trump will ultimately determine when the fighting concludes.
The post War may last 2 more weeks, may not result in regime change, Israeli officials say appeared first on World Israel News.