
Emergency audio revealed the NASCAR champion experienced severe breathing distress one day before he died at age 41.
CONCORD, N.C. — NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was coughing up blood, struggling to breathe and lying on a bathroom floor during a medical emergency hours before his death, according to newly released 911 audio tied to the sudden loss of the two-time Cup Series champion.
Authorities and NASCAR officials continued Friday to piece together the final hours leading to Busch’s death after the 41-year-old driver suffered what family members described as a severe illness while preparing for one of the sport’s biggest race weekends. Emergency dispatch audio released by local authorities showed Busch experienced alarming symptoms at a General Motors training facility in Concord, North Carolina, where he had been testing in a Chevrolet racing simulator. No official cause of death had been announced as investigators awaited medical findings and toxicology results.
The emergency call was placed Wednesday evening from the General Motors Charlotte Technical Center, where Busch had reportedly been participating in simulator testing ahead of the Coca-Cola 600 weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. During the call, an unidentified employee calmly told dispatchers that Busch was short of breath, felt overheated and appeared close to passing out. The caller also said Busch was “producing a little bit of blood” and coughing repeatedly while remaining conscious on the bathroom floor inside the facility. Emergency responders were directed to enter through a side area of the building, and the caller requested that ambulances avoid using sirens while approaching the property. Several hours later, Busch reportedly became unresponsive and was transported to a Charlotte-area hospital for treatment. NASCAR, Richard Childress Racing and Busch’s family confirmed Thursday that he had died.
Officials have released few details about the medical circumstances surrounding Busch’s death, though recent interviews and race communications suggested the veteran driver had been dealing with lingering respiratory problems for weeks. During a race weekend earlier this month at Watkins Glen International in New York, Busch reportedly requested medical assistance after complaining of a severe cough and sinus-related illness. Broadcast commentators noted at the time that he appeared physically uncomfortable during the event. Busch later acknowledged publicly that he was still not fully recovered ahead of NASCAR’s All-Star weekend, telling reporters that his cough had remained “pretty substantial.” Authorities have not confirmed whether those earlier symptoms were connected to the medical emergency in Concord. Investigators also have not disclosed whether Busch had any underlying condition or whether environmental factors inside the simulator facility may have contributed to the incident.
Busch’s death stunned the motorsports world because of both his age and his status as one of NASCAR’s most successful and recognizable modern drivers. Over a career spanning more than two decades, Busch collected 234 victories across NASCAR’s national series and won Cup Series championships in 2015 and 2019. Known by fans as “Rowdy” for his aggressive driving style and outspoken personality, Busch built a reputation as one of the sport’s fiercest competitors while also mentoring younger drivers through his racing development programs. He remained an active full-time Cup Series driver entering the 2026 season and had recently celebrated a Truck Series victory at Dover Motor Speedway. Fellow drivers, team owners and NASCAR officials described his death as one of the most shocking losses the sport has experienced in years.
Legal and investigative questions surrounding Busch’s death remained limited Friday because no evidence of foul play had been reported by authorities. Cabarrus County officials said emergency records connected to the 911 call were released under standard public information procedures. Medical examiners are expected to determine an official cause of death after completing additional testing in the coming days. NASCAR officials have not announced whether the organization plans to review medical protocols or emergency preparedness procedures involving simulator training sessions. Richard Childress Racing said Busch’s family requested privacy while grieving and making funeral arrangements. NASCAR also confirmed plans for tributes during upcoming race events, including moments of silence and special commemorative displays honoring Busch’s career achievements.
Outside Charlotte Motor Speedway and team garages Friday, fans gathered to leave flowers, die-cast cars and handwritten messages honoring Busch’s legacy. Drivers and crew members spoke quietly about the shock that spread through the garage area after news of his death became public Thursday afternoon. ESPN reporter Marty Smith became emotional during a televised tribute while describing Busch as both a fierce competitor and a devoted father. Hall of Fame driver Jimmie Johnson called Busch “one of the greatest talents” the sport had ever seen, while other competitors reflected on years of intense rivalries that eventually became friendships. Many younger drivers credited Busch with helping shape their careers through mentorship and racing opportunities. The emotional reaction stretched beyond NASCAR, with tributes appearing across professional sports and social media throughout the day.
Officials said additional medical findings related to Busch’s death are expected after laboratory testing and autopsy reviews are completed. NASCAR plans to honor Busch throughout race weekend as the motorsports community continues mourning one of its most accomplished modern champions.
Author note: Last updated May 22, 2026.